9:40 PM

Slugs

So the summer is winding down and I have thoroughly enjoyed the time that I've had to relax. One thing I will never miss is slugs. This summer has been incredibly cool and wet which unfortunately is the perfect climate for slugs. Whenever it rains, the slugs come out and take over our deck. I usually bring on the salt. Since they emerged in such massive quantities I was not able to get through the summer without stepping on one. I had stepped on a slug before, but this time I really stepped on it. The only way I managed to get the slime off my foot was to scrape it off.
Here is a picture of utter disgust.


The night that I took this picture I counted 17 slugs just in this little area. I don't know why they hang around the back door, but I have reason to suspect it has to do with cat food.
To conclude here are some facts about slugs:

1. They are hermaphrodites.
2. Slugs range from 1 to 10 inches
3.Slugs are made up of mostly water which is why they shrivel and become dehydrated when you salt them. Needless to say, a slug will not make it out alive if you salt it.
4.As much as I hate to admit it slugs play a important role in our ecosystem by breaking down materials faster and releasing nutrients.

0 comments:

Post a Comment